Posted by: Gwen | 2008/10/06

Hi Dietdoc

I really need your help. We are going to visit my parents this weekend. I am currently on a balanced diet and trying my best to stick to it. So far I am doing well, but I am worried about the weekend. I haven' t been to my parents in ages and I am really looking forward to going. The only thing that worries me is the eating aspect. My mom makes the most delicious food, but it' s not always fat free or very healthy. She also told me that she will be making her famous baked cheese cake. I love her cheese cake!!!!!!!

I need your advice on how to cope with the situation. I do not want to offend my mom by not eating the food she so lovingly prepares to spoil me. And I do not want to be the " party pooper"  who says no to everything there is to eat.

What should I do? Would it be so bad if I ate the cheese cake and the other food?

Dear Gwen
I understand perfectly what kind of problem you face - on the one hand you don't want to sabotage your diet, but on the other hand there is the social aspect of disappointing your dear parents. So what you are going to do is the following: 1) You are going to relax and enjoy the weekend with your parents (stressing produces a hormone called cortisol that can cause weight gain!) 2) You are going to eat Moderate portions of the lovely food your Mom will be making and refuse second helpings in a pleasant way 3) You are not going to drink any alcohol (you say 29 kJ per gram that you don't drink!) - have sugar-free drinks or soda water instead 4) You are going to go for a long walk every day hopefully with your parents if possible. Then when you get back after the weekend you are just going to stick to your balanced diet (don't try starving yourself), but do 15 min of extra exercise each day (so if you were doing 30 min a day, up it to 45 min/day for one week or so).
Enjoy your weekend, parents are special and one should always make them feel loved and appreciated.

Posted by: td | 2008/10/06

why not allow yourself those " little bits of heaven"  but not over indulge. and then just be extra strict for the week to follow - even starting today. that way, you' ve prepared for a weekend of some yummy foods. before and after the time comes!?!

Reply to td
Posted by: Shad | 2008/10/06

Just tell your mom before you go that you are on a diet and will not be able to eat all the fatty foods I am sure she will understand and will want you to look your best.

Reply to Shad