Question
Posted by: rochelle | 2004/11/18

Advice

Hi Doctor is this statement correct

An ectopic means your left tube was damaged, and it's possible the right
tube may also be damaged,
since tubal disease is often bilateral.

Yes, it is correct.

2
Posted by: rochelle | 2004/11/18

Hi Purple

Thanks for the advice i had an ectopic last year november the doctor operated and removed my left tube she then told me the right is fine she checked it but ever since i cant fall pregnant i have alot of mucus thats for sure but i am going to see another gynie on saturday wish me luck as i really want another baby

Reply to rochelle
Posted by: Purple | 2004/11/18

I've had an ectopic pregnancy (left falopian tube), and the gynae put dye into my right tube to check and there were no blockages there. I've since had a normal pregnancy and given birth to a baby.

An ectopic pregnancy is the embryo attaching anywhere outside of the womb, including either of the falopian tube (left or right).

My gynae explained that yes, if one tube is damaged, very often the other one is as well. However, ectopic pregnancy is not only caused by infection, but also because sometimes you just haven't produced enough mucus to enable the egg to travel down the tube, in this case, it wouldn't affect your other tube.

When you've had an ectopic pregnancy, you are at higher risk of having another one than the general population.
You need to do a pregnancy test if ever your period is 2 days late. You need to do a Quantitative Beta test, and then another 1 48 hours later so that they can see whether the hormones are doubling or fluctuating. The normal Beta test just checks whether the pregnancy hormones are present, not how many, so is not a good indicator of whether you may be having another ectopic.

Reply to Purple