Question
Posted by: mo | 2005/07/08

advantage of regression?

Is there any advantage to undergoing regression and or hypnosis. Both scare me but i have very little memory of my childhood and I am a pretty screwed up adult who would like to sort himself out

No advantage whatsoever, and very considerable dangers to using these seriously flawed techniaues. Age regression is total quackery with not a shred of evidence of it ever having helped anyone, and too much evidence of it having caused serious harm to people. At the very best you could hope for, it would be useless ( if you were very lucky ). Similarly, hypnosis is a grossly over-rated minor technique, NEVER ever the main or best way of treating anything, but very popular among quacks. None of the major academic and clinical organizations recognize it, and it is so easy to become a "registered" or "accredited" hypnotherapist, that I know a guy who managed to get certificates for his cat, proclaiming her to be a fully authorized hypnotherapist. Certainly it would be sheer quackery for anyone to propose using hypnosis in the situation you describe.
Many of us could describe ourselves as pretty screwed up adults, and normal counselling / psychotherpay can usually help. Nobody ever has good or detailed and accurate memory of their childhood ; much of what one does remember is fragmentary and can be remarkably inaccurate. And for the years up to around 4, we have litle or no memory at all, as the full ability to form and store memories hasn't developed by that time.
Beware of quack theories and therapies, which were horribly popular in the USA a while back, and which caused huge damage and suffering to many people, ( and which has been proved to be wholly bogus and harmful ) that theorized that if we found ourselves unhappy in any way, and if we weren't able to recall our entire childhood ( that is, if we were totally normal people ) then we must have suffered some qwful events which we have "repressed" ( there is no such thing as repression in that sense ) and that prolonged, expensive, and very highly profitabe ( to the therapist ) treatment was needed, involving regressions, hypnosis, and other quack techniques, to "recover" "memories" of these fictitious events.
In so many cases, people who were mildly unhappy were, becuase of such therapy, turned into deeply disturbed, profoundly unhappy individuals, drifting further and further away from reality. Many were saved only because the therapist lost interest when their funds dried up, and, when the "therapy" stopped, they improved.
If anyone suggests they could help you by methods like this, run, don't walk, out of the room and avoid them at all costs.