Question
Posted by: mb | 2008/01/11

Adult tonsillectomy

I am 26 years old, and am scheduled to have a tonsillectomy at the end of the month... What should I know pre-op, and what should I expect post-op?

Someone told me that they dislocate your jaw during the procedure, and then pop it back in afterwards - is that true?

Thanks!

Dear MB

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

Please note that they will not dislocate your jaw during the operation. Pre-op, there is not much to expect, post-op, you can expect bleeding from the tonsil beds, as well as post operative pain that can continue for up to one week. Ask your doctor for adequate pain killers. You can also use locobiotel, oral spray, to numb the pain, as well as prevent post operative infection.

Kind regards

4
Posted by: RANDAMS | 2008/11/25

I cant sleep at night although i' m taking the pain killers and whats new now is that there are blood cloths coming out of the tonsillectomy and its annoying and now the ears are sore as well. please advise what to do as my doctor is on vacation and did not reffer me to any other doctor.

Reply to RANDAMS
Posted by: RANDAMS | 2008/11/24

WHAT WOULD YOU RECOMMEND I USE INSTEAD OF STILL PAIN TABLETS OR STILL PAIN SYRUP THAT I WAS GIVEN AFTER THE OPERATION? PLEASE HELP!

Reply to RANDAMS
Posted by: mb | 2008/01/14

Thank you!

Reply to mb
Posted by: A.E. | 2008/01/11

No it is not true,but it is very sore,I had it done on 23 years of age.It was my second time because it grew back at that age but all I can tell you is eat lots of ice cream and biltong as well as toast and do what ever the doctor tell you what to do and you will be fine.

Reply to A.E.