Question
Posted by: Sylvia | 2005/06/08

Adult maltese poodle - large

Ate a large meal last night of roast pork & rice. Has excessive thirst to-day with vomiting. His nose is very cold & he is shivering.
What is it -should I wait for it to pass or see a vet imm?
He has previously (several years ago) needed veterinary intervention to unblock his colon..Was advised no more bones & have mostly complied

It is quite possible that it is a simple gastroenteritis as result of eating a large cooked meal, but it may have also caused more serious problems such as inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis). The general rule is, if it does not clear up within the same day or the patient started dehydrating, it will need veterinary help.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

2
Posted by: Tan | 2005/06/08

If I were you I wouldn't put a time limit on it, I would go straight to the vet, your animal might be in pain?!!!
I let the warning signs pass and I lost my 4 month old Spaniel.
If you can't afford a vet, go to the SPCA, don' t waste anymore time.

Good luck!

Reply to Tan
Posted by: Sylvia | 2005/06/08

My message is as above

Reply to Sylvia