Question
Posted by: Shelley | 2011/09/22

Adult German Shepherd

My 4 year old male german shepherd has been chewing the pads on his front paws. After several vet visits where nothing has been visible in the paws, i.e. glass, splinter, etc, I have to conclude that this is a habit that he is developing. How do I stop it and why is he doing it? He''''s definitely not bored or stressed. Please advise

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Shelley, without a full background it is difficult to figure out why especially as vet has checked out the paws and the dog is not bored, frustrated or stressed or there have not been changes in the home or neighbours.
If you are sure that he is receiving sufficient exercise and mental stimulation by way of varied chew toys etc, then make sure you do not award attention when he is engaging in this habit, as that will only serve to reinforce same.
See if he is doing it any any given time of day or in any given location and see if any stress is around at these times.
The best thing to do is to distract him the second he starts. Offer him a Kong (or similar) stuffed with some kibble or an appropriate chew toy and let him chew on this. If this does not work then I would suggest you speak to your vet about him wearing an Elizabethian Collar for a period in order to break the habit. Good luck, Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/09/26

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert