Question
Posted by: Tray | 2007/03/12

Adult Daxies and new puppy

Help. We found an abandoned pup yesterday - only about 3 weeks old! My heart just went out to this little thing & we are adopting her. The problem is that I have two 5 year old female (spayed) daxies. They are really spoilt and are my babies. I tried to introduce them to the pup, and the one daxie tried to attack her! It was really nasty, and if I hadn't been there, they would have killed the puppy. I had an idea in my mind that adult dogs would be very tolerant of a puppy - specially such a small and helpless one. Now I am really scared, that they are just never ever going to get on! I'm planning to introduce them much more gradually now and wait until the pup is much stronger and bigger. Any suggestions how to handle this situation, short of finding a new home for the pup? (which I really don't want to have to do!)

Introducing them slowly and under strict supervision is very important. Be patient with them as they should get on fine soon enough. Don't let the pup near the adults' food bowl

5
Posted by: Tray | 2007/03/13

Hi Joan and H

Thx so much for your advice. My plan now is to wait until the pup is about 8wks old before I try and introduce them again. Keeping the pup in the kitchen for now. So at least the daxies will get used to her smell, even though they can't see her (well that's the idea anyway) I like the idea of introducing them one at a time, also the idea of a neutral ground. I guess it will just take a long time, but that's okay, I'd rather do things properly. Apparently 3 dogs = a pack! Then all pack structures come in to place. So we'll have to tread carefully.

I'll keep you updated.

Reply to Tray
Posted by: H | 2007/03/13

Had the same experience except the puppy was older (and a larger breed - a lab). They were nasty to her - tried to nip. Introduce them on neutral ground - the park? It took quite a while for my daxies to accept the new pup - I thought it would never happen. The one daxie ended up being best friends with the lab. The other remained 'neutral', but then she never liked other dogs (she liked people better).

Reply to H
Posted by: Joan | 2007/03/12

Well done, the same thing happened to me rescued a chihuahua cross pup from a bergie she bearly had her milk teeth, any way took her home my adult daxie is only 2 now and she did the exact same thing almost as if she was jealous and scared that the pup would take her place, she did in the beginning give the addition to the family a few horrble nips but decided what will be will be, during the day she stayed at my friends house and at night she was at home with me she slept in her own basket and daxie still slept in the bed i even fed them seperately as she grew a bit older daxie started accepting her and they even started eating out the same bowl, but i suppose in your case you have two daxies try itroducing the pup to one daxie at a time and show them they are still your very special babies, i'm sure they will accept the pup sooner or later when thay realise it isn't going to go anywhere.
Good Luck and keep us updated.

Reply to Joan
Posted by: Tray | 2007/03/12

Yes & she's already been checked out by the vet. Got her proper puppy formula, a size 1 Nuk baby bottle, some Hills soft food etc.... Also making a mix with ideal milk, egg yolk & water. She is feeding fine. She is really being babied. My chief concern is just the reaction of my other girls to her. Any ideas.........

Reply to Tray
Posted by: Acineth | 2007/03/12

Do you have proper puppy milk to feed the puppy?

Reply to Acineth