Question
Posted by: j9 | 2007/08/03

Adult acne / hormone treatment / laser

Hi There
I am a 35 yr old female (vegetarian) with pigmentation marks on my cheeks ( I woke up 1 morning and they were just there! ). Recently I have had very bad acne ( -|- pimples and inflamed skin) on the chin and temple areas as well as between my eyebrows - pretty much my whole face. These pimples recur in the same area and have left scars. Although my skin has always been very sensitive, I have never had acne and haven't a clue how to deal with it - having tried various products (RegimA, Environ,and mediated creams for day and night usage from dermatologists).
I have been put on a course of antiobiotics for 1 month and have had an area tested for laser to remove the dark marks on my cheeks - which i am told is the result of hormonal activity.
1. Should I begin hormone treatment?
2. Will antibitics only stop the symptoms and not treat the skin condition itself?
3. What are the options for pigmentation treatment of skin of colour? (I have olive skin tone)
4. How do antibiotics affect me - osteoporosis worries - in terms of exercise programme?

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hello ‘J9’, thank you for the question.
I would appreciate if you could post a new question giving more information on the pigmentory marks that ‘just appeared’: are they as a result of the acne or due to sun damage? Did the dermatologist give you a diagnosis of these pigmentory marks – e.g. Melasma? What do you mean ‘my skin has always been sensative’, please describe the symptoms you have noticed? Could you also inform me of the exact name of the products used in the RegimA, Environ range and the medicated creams prescribed? How long has the acne been troubling you?
All of the above will enable me to give you a more accurate answer to the problem.