Question
Posted by: Joan | 2007/03/13

adopting strays

Yesterday on my way home home from work the vet had a medium sized cross breed outside on the grass he asked if i don't know anyone who wants dogs, i said yes a friend of mine has a farm and is looking for a friend for his border collie, the one i saw was lovely anyway i phoned my friend he said he will take both and will come sort things out with the vet today so went to the vet this morning and looked at the other one he is a german shepherd, although when he looked at me i was petrified it felt as if he was looking straight through me, i didn't touch him, but the vet said he isvery well behaved he just doesn't like being in a cage. The other one was very friendly, can anyone give me some info on german shepherds personalities cos this dog made me feel very uncomfortable,

There temperaments are variable (some docile some aggressive). Fear can also amke them appear very scary.

1
Posted by: Natasha | 2007/03/13

Hi Joan
I have a German Shephard. She is great. They have this kind of look that is like they can see into your soul. But I wouldn't be scared. I never liked big dogs (always had daxies) and when we ended up getting the German Shephard I was very worried. She had been abused and we took her when the owners wanted to shoot her. She was very traumatised. Anyway, to make a long story short, I have had her for 9 years, and it only took me a couple of days to love her to bits. She has mothered all the doggies and kittens I have got in the years that I have had her. My opinion is that you will never find any better loyalty than that of a German Shephard if you have treated them with great love and respect (Even more loyal than the daxies - who just wrap us around their "fingers" !!).
All the German Shephards I know dispise being closed into small spaces. My Alice performs when she is in my car !!! She sits with a very angry grumpy look on her face until the door opens.
Hope that helps a bit

Reply to Natasha