Question
Posted by: Comien | 2007/08/26

Adopted todler and ?drugs

I would just like to know if anyone can give me advice. We have adopted two children; 5 and 2 years old. With the eldest I was working fulltime, but made time for lots of quality time with him. He was a slow to start talking and still does not talk up to date (as I think he should) but I am not too worried, because I can see daily how he improve. With the youngest I haven't been working, so I had much more time with her. She is also slow in speech development. I sometimes think that she is just too lazy to talk because she is EXTREMELY BUSY. I think she just does not have the time or patience to concentrate to talk. I do not accept pointing at things she want. It is very frustrating to her and me, because sometimes she just refuse to talk and just through a tantrum. But what worries me the most is her "being so EXTREMELY BUSY". I know they are busy at this age, but believe me she is the ultimate. She never, ever stops fidling, scratching in things, unpacking, climbing up things, etc. Sometimes I think that she might be very intelligent, because she is quiete clever, but then I desperatly need advise on how to handle. On the other hand I suddenly started worrying that her mom might have taken drugs and that this might be the effect. Somebody also once mentioned that she behaves typically of somebody who will have behavioural problems later. I love her to bits, but she can drive me nuts and makes it very difficult for us to give the eldest the attention he also need. Can somebody help me with advise.

There can be later effects in a child where the mother took any of a number of illict drugs during pregnancy ; and it is also possible that she might perhaps have ADHD. Best have her assessed if possible by a good local child shrink or paediatrician, who can advise on treatment, which could make a significant difference