Question
Posted by: Concerned | 2006/04/19

Adjusting the Lipostat: fact or fiction?

Concerned

I recently went for a consultation on the Slender Wonder program. Got a nice lecture on intermediary metabolism and apparently the program is aimed at adjusting the lipostat, as was answered affirmatively when I asked if that was indeed the objective. However, based on peer-reviewed literature I don’t believe that is possible! The lipostat is a concept in working progress and maybe some of us will live to see combination hormone therapy to one day effectively regulate it and later gene therapy fixing the completely dysfunctional ones…

But still many people swear by it. Any form of critique on the program would be appreciated, especially addressing the basis of the claims to sustained weight loss.

Thanks,
Concerned

Dear Concerned
As you correctly point out - the lipostat, appetite control and all the hundreds of other factors that influence weight loss and gain and control, are still being researched and no one can at this stage say what needs to be done (hormone injections, appetite suppressants, etc, etc,) to achieve this type of ideal balance. I am not in favour of diets and programmes that deviate from a sensible, low-fat, balanced diet and that do not recommend aerobic exercise to achieve weight loss. Unfortunately at the moment there is no control over such organisations and/or products and anyone can sell or promote any scheme for weight loss, no matter how deviant, without any comeback.