Posted by: L Zeelie | 2012/11/28

ADHD, ODD and Conduct Disorder

Could you please help me to help my son of 11 years old with the abovementioned. I have had him to every psychiatrist and still nobody can help him. I''ve also applied for admission to Boys Town, but he was not accepted and their reason is that he must be in a more contained facility. Is there Pediatric Neurologists in George where I can take him to?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

Frankly, I don't know whether there is a Paediatric Neurologist in George ( there's no real way I could find out ) but your GP or local clinioc should know if there is one. I'd guess not, as they're pretty rare creatures, and in order to keep fully occupied, they are generally based in one of the larger centres.
You dont in your message actually describe what your son's problems are, only the confusing number of diagnoses he has received. Who gave these diagnoses ? GPs ? Paediatricians ? Is there a Child Psychiatrist or Child Psychologist in George or within reach ( these could be useful asessments and advisors ).
You dont mention what if any treatments, medicine and psychologicalm hwe has received so far, and with what effects.
If BOys Town feels he needs a more secure facility, presumably the main concern is very highly difficult and challenging behaviour. Here again, as there's no reason top assume a neurological ( brain damage or disease ) problem at the base of this, a Paediatric Neurologist may not be what you really need.
Secure and skilled psychiatric or paediatric inpatient facilities are not common in SA as a whole, and again are more likely to be found in the major centres.
But moving the boy into such a facility sounds rather like giving up ( though I can understand that you might indeed feel defeated by the problems you have been struggling with ) so again I'd emphasize the need for a full assessment and discussion with a good child psychiatrist and child psychologist before deciding on what further treatment, and where, is needed.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: L Zeelie | 2012/11/28

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I feel like giving up, because no one seems to be able to help. He was diagnosed with ADHD and ODD by a psychiatrist and was given Ritalin (Adephen) 10mg x 3 times daily. Also Risperiodone (Risperdal) 1mg at night which was later adjusted to 2mg and Epilum (500mg) at night in order to suppress his mood swings/aggression. He has been expelled from 5 schools as a result of behavioural problems and the teachers could not handle him. He also does not get along with children his own age and would rather be with children older than him. He is also very intelligent, about 4 years ago I had him tested and according to the results he is the level just below genius. He scored 126+ for all the tests and the therapist mentioned that a child his age should have a score of about 100.

I have also taken him to all the psychologists in George and not one of them could get anything out of him. As soon as they start asking questions, he clams up and refuses to talk. Eventually I took him to the Red Cross Children''s Hospital Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and they diagnosed him with conduct disorder and recommended that he be admitted to Boys Town.

So as I stated, I''m on the verge of giving up, because his behavior is getting worse and has been getting even worse since his grandfather died 4 years ago. He was very close to him and he often cries over him.

Reply to L Zeelie

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.