Question
Posted by: Tamryn | 2006/04/21

ADHD in adults

I believe my husband has ADHD. After doing extensive reading & information gathering and from the problems we’ve been having I find that most of the symptoms talked about is what he has been experiencing. Also there are no medical problems and he has no depression. I know that one would tell us that we should consult a professional for a proper diagnosis; however we are unable to sustain those kinds of costs. I was therefore hoping that you could give me advice on how to do home therapies or any other kinds of treatments (dietary, natural remedies etc) to help him with his concentration, shortness of temper, impulsiveness etc. Please if you can help us in any way, I would gladly appreciate it.

As you'll discover if you check the archives of this forum. adult ADHD is still a controversial diagnosis, and shouldn't be made too hastily ( it can be mistaken for various personality and other problems ). Consider the various options I outlined in another recent message for seeking counselling / psych help when funds are low. I know of no evidence whatever that any honme remedies, diets or non-prescription remedies are of any use in this sort of situation

3
Posted by: HomoeoPsych | 2006/04/23

Hi Tamryn

If you would like more info on natural or dietary treatments for ADHD (adult or otherwise), you can have a look a Patrick Holford’s website www dot patrickholford.com. I’m not familiar with 'ADHD in adults' by Lynn Weiss, but I’m sure you could order it through Amazon (try their used books if it’s out of print) or Kalahari.

If cost is an issue, by far the cheapest treatment alternative is a simplex homoeopathic remedy. You could have a look at the following sites for info in this regard (abchomoeopathic includes a self diagnosis questionnaire that might be useful in selecting an appropriate remedy for your husband):
www dot healing-arts.org/children/ADHD/homeopathy.htm ,
www dot abchomeopathy.com/ ,
www dot whatreallyworks.co.uk/start/kidszone.asp?article_ID=441 or
www dot hpakids.org/holistic-health/articles/154/1/Homeopathy-Proven-Successful-for-ADHD .

If self-help is not effective in your husband’s case, you might need to consult a naturopath or homoeopath.

I’m not sure that George’s posting helps the cause of natural medicine all that much – it seems a bit extreme & self-serving to my taste. Whilst some people respond wonderfully to natural remedies or homoeopathy, not everyone does. On the other hand, other people respond far better to drugs such as Ritalin, that can, and do, change lives dramatically. Your husband really has to find what works for him

Go well

Reply to HomoeoPsych
Posted by: George | 2006/04/21

The Doc is talking nonsense ! Of course vitamins and minerals will help. For goodness sake they are natural and what the body needs. I have helped many people in my area who were ADHD, adults and kids. You need to get onto a high dosage nutritional programme, with protein, calmag, omega and lecithin. I guarantee that will work. Dont use medication or drugs, they are toxic. Consult a nutritionist. If you need more help or contact details, let me know.

Reply to George
Posted by: Read this | 2006/04/21

Hi Tamryn,

I was told to read the book called 'ADHD in adults' by Lynn Weiss, as my husband has symptoms of it too. However, Im finding it very difficult to get hold of this book, but am trying to order it through a book store. Maybe this book will help you on this topic. (I was told its one of the best reads for this problem). Try and see whether you can get a copy.

Reply to Read this