Question
Posted by: Dee | 2007/08/06

ADHD - effect reading ability

Good day

I would like to know if ADHD can affect a childs abiltiy to read? My sister's son is currently on Ritaline and has difficulty in reading. He is 11 years old.

I suppose it would mainly depend on how bad the ADHD was. But if it was severe and untrated, the child might have difficulty paying sufficient attention to learn to read, and might have difficulty in concentrating enough to read well. But with treatment, and perhaps a psychologist with an interest in ADHD could help him to attend and read better, he could improve

1
Posted by: Santjie | 2007/08/06

Flash cards with single words on them helped my son alot. He also suffers from ADD and is 14years old. The eye and brain sensors needs to be stimulated. Sorry for the Afrikaans but a "Arbeidsterapeut" will also help alot. They teach them to read, organise themselves and in general with concentration. They also colourcode everthing which makes the brain associated certain tasks and certain school subjects with the colour which again helps the brain develope.

Reply to Santjie