Question
Posted by: HM | 2004/10/08

ADHD - 3yr old

Cyber Doc,

Firstly , I would like to thankyou for your speedy response on my
concerns about migraines & cluster headaches.

My question is :
How old are the youngest children that have been diagnosed
with ADHD
Can my 3yr old have ADHD, as he does not see tasks through,
he is undisciplined, does not accept no for an answer, and throws tantrums when he does not get his way. Also cannot sit still and stand still on one spot for long, fidgets , however he does sleep well. I have also been through a divorce, I am with my second husband and currently he does not listen to him at all.
My second husband love him a lot and shows it with hugs & kisses and attention.

Could he have ADHD.

I'm dreading your response, but I need to know.

HM, ADHD typically starts before the age of 4 and almost always before the age of 7, but it is a difficult diagnosis to make in a young child. The best would be to have him evaluated by a paediatric psychiatrist and a psychologist. If they both agree that it is ADHD and not just a “phase” or being difficult, the best would be to start him on Ritalin®. Good luck.