Question
Posted by: ZELLIE | 2007/05/28

ADHD

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT IS THE BEST MULTI VITAMIN TO GIVE YOUR CHILD THAT IS ON RITALIN (CONCERTA 36 MG)

I know of NO good evidence that ANY multivitamin helps kids with ADHD< and some, with artificial colourings might disturb them. From the evidence I have seen, Eye-Q may indeed have some benefits, and could be more useful than the hideously over-priced multivitamins available --- I'm always amazed that the Dept of Health doesn't investigate the huge over-pricing of vitamins in this country

1
Posted by: Buzz | 2007/05/28

Zellie, there are so many good multivitamins to choose from, it's difficult to single out one particular brand. Bioharmony is a great but expensive range, in particular "Optimum Nutrition for Smart Kids". They also have a boost shake, "Get Up & Go" - it's packed with vitamins and minerals - you can mix it with skimmed milk, soya milk or fruit juice, or even sprinkle it over their breakfast

I have a keen interest in everything related to ADHD (my son was diagnosed 18 months ago) and in almost every book I read, they mention tests showing that all children with ADHD have a magnesium, zinc and vitamin B6 deficiency. Both the products I mentioned above, have these ingredients. They are expensive and there are many other products that are just as good and much cheaper.

It's important to include Omega 3 & 6 fatty acids. There's a product called Eye-Q (also expensive) - their tests have shown a 40% improvement in reading and spelling after 6 months of using Omega 3 & 6. Omega 3 is naturally found in oily cold water fish like tuna, salmon and mackerel but we don't consume enough fish so we need to supplement it . Omega 6 is found in sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, walnuts, linseed and soya - try to give your child a handful of mixed nuts daily.

I'm sure you know this, but cut out all preservatives, colourants, processed foods and especially sugar as much as you can - better yet, replace sugar with Xylitol. And give your child a breakfast with a good protein.

Good luck - it's an emotional rollercoaster with these speical children.

Reply to Buzz