Question
Posted by: kaz | 2003/02/27

ADHD

My 7 year old daughter has been very disruptive in class and battles to focus on things for very long. We also find that we have to ask her to do things at least 3 times over before she even "hears" us. We have been told that she is just blatantly naughty and that we should "beat" this attitude problem out of her (somehow I don't believe that would work) but now a friend has informed us that my daughter is showing the same signs as her son who was diagnosed with ADHD was before he was put onto Ritalin. It concerns me that it is so easy to classify a child ie that they have ADHD. We are planning to get her tested but are not sure how to go about it and is there any chance there could be something else "wrong"?

Kaz, as soon as I suspect that a child in my practice as ADHD, I get in the help of a child psychiatrist and a child psychologist and if they’re not a 100% sure a paediatric neurologist. I agree that too many children are put on Ritalin® just because their teachers or parents can’t handle a strong-willed child. On the other hand, Ritalin® can make the world of difference if given to the right child. The best would be to have her evaluated by at least a child psychiatrist before you do anything. Good luck.

1
Posted by: Health24 | 2003/02/27

Dear Kaz
You may be interested in our comprehensive article on ADHD in the A-Z section of diseases. We have also written a number of articles on the subject. If you do a search for ADHD, you will be able to access them. Hope you find them useful.
Kind regards
Health24

Reply to Health24