Question
Posted by: Sandra | 2008/06/02

ADHA diet for kids

DietDoc,
My daughter, nearly 6 years old, does not have ADHA, but displays some of the symptoms. But only at home. The teachers at school says that there is nothing wrong with her.
So the first thing that comes to mind, apart from discipline, is her diet.
Could you please give me an indication of a correct diet fot my daughter.
And where she does not want to eat the food, can I disguise it with tomato sauce?
She is currently having poridge for breakfast at school, a peanut butter sandwich and "tinky" for a snack. Lunch from school, wich differs, sometimes stew, sometimes fishfingers. In the evenings we have have quick and easy dinners. Mostly "boxed" meat and fish. Especially the crumbed ones.

Thank you for your help

Dear Sandra
If your lassie is giving you problems with eating this does not mean that she has ADHD. If you click on 'Child' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition' you can access the articles on 'Diets for Toddlers' and "Diets for Schoolchildren" which indicate which foods children at various ages should eat and also in which quantities they should have their food. It may be a good idea to consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), for a balanced diet prescription for your daughter, as the menu you list is lacking in a number of vital nutrients (milk for protein and calcium, fruit and vegetables for vitamins, dietary fibre and minerals, wholegrain cereals and starches to provide B vitamins, dietary fibre and minerals, etc) that children need for healthy growth and development.