Question
Posted by: Z | 2004/11/22

Adequate Training

Fitness Doc,

I have started training and also eating healthly. My program is as follows:
Day 1: Upper Body Toning (45 minutes)3 sets, 12 reps consists, thereafter 20 - 30 minutes cardio (intensity 3-4)
Day 2+4 : Cardio (45-1hr)
Day 3: Lower Body Toning with cardio thereafter. I train everday and 3/7 days I swim in the morning for 1 hour and do 45 minutes of toning in the afternoon.
My diet consists of 6 meals a day, and 8 glasses of water.
How long would it be before I see results if I were to stick to my training and diet. I'm not really concerned with mass but would like to see a drop in cm's.

HI Z

I'm glad that you have begun. I am sure that on this programme, you will begin to FEEL different within about 3 to 4 weeks. You will get fitter, that is for sure. The biggest worry for me is that you are overdoing it. I gather that you are doing 7 days a week, which means no rest day at all, and also that you are sometimes training twice a day. This is training that someone would do in preparation for an olympic games! I'm not discouraging you from exercise, but I am a huge believer in 'less is more', and I worry that at the rate you are going, you will pick up injury, or perhaps more likely, burnout in a couple of months. I think that every programme's most important session is a day of complete rest, and I would suggest that you include this.

Other than this, the programme composition seems good - a focus on cardio is good, and the toning is also important, so I would not change the ratio at all. What I would do is cut out the morning swimming and the 45 minutes of toning on the days where you are currently doing this, and then give yourself a day off during the week and a day off on a weekend day. I think that over time, you can add in a sixth day, but be patient, results will come, but think long term.