Question
Posted by: Jacqui | 2005/07/22

Adding non biological child to medical

My partner and I have been together for about 4 yrs now. I have another son from a prev relationship who is 7. We also have a 4 month old boy. My partner and younger son are on one med aid but we would like the children to be on the same one. I called the med aid (Selfmed) to enquire about putting the older one on the same scheme but was told it is not possible as he is not my partners biological child nor are we married. I thought that the rules for med aid had changed to the extent that you can put whomever you chose on it as long as you paid.....

Any advise?

Expert ImageArchive

a Medical scheme must accept a common law spouse as a dependant. That also include children from previous relationships. Refer your query to Selfmed Scheme Management.