Posted by: Emma | 2008/09/15

I went to see my GP about my Urbanol addiction. She has now refered me to a psychiatrist whom I will see on 13 Nov. The GP suggested that I be hospitalised to come off the urbanol and that I then go onto antidepressants and also have counceling. I have had anxiety problems all my life, which have never been treated correctly. Now is the time to do it as I have been on urbanol for too long.

The hospitalization will be covered by medical aid, but everything out of hospital I will have to pay for myself. I will have to take money out of an investment to do so.

I am so scared of all of the above what will they do to me in hospital? I have had lots of operations in my life, but never been treated in hospital for an addition. My anxiety levels are sky high at the moment as I don' t know what to expect. Please can you give me an outline of this procedure. I have also never been to a psychiatrist before. What do they do besides subscribe meds?

Also, will ADs really help for GAD. Some people swear by ADs as they seem to help and other people have told me that they are very bad - i am so confused. I know I need help, but I am scared I will end up feeling worse on ADs than I am now on urbanol.

I hope you can make sense of all my fears and questions. Thank you CS.

Wise to work with a psychiatrist on this problem, and it may be best to START that process in hospital, to make the withdrawal phase smoother and safer. Don't be scared --- psychiatrists are generally nice people --- a fully trained doctor with the psych expertise on top, so best able to handle the physical as well as the psychological aspects of such problems. So they're similar to a psychologist with additional medical skills, and allowed to prescribe meds.
And the hospital stay would be to help you feel more comfortable while the withdrawal might be done a bit more rapidly than outside, while they keep observation to be sure whatever you miight need could be attended to more rapidly. ADs are geneally safe and effective, and people who say they're bad are either repeating rumours they've heard from people with basic prejudices, or they personally may have had an unfortunate bad experience which they assume must hapen to everyone. An AD should be helpful for you without producing the levels of sedation and wooziness that the Urbanols of this world do --- indeed, one potential problem with them is that the onset of benefits is gradual and may be more gentle and less immediately noticeable than with sedatives like Urbanol. I very much doubt that you would feel worse on ADs --- and remember, with ANY drug, side-effects are most noticeable in the first week or so as your body adusts to their presence.