Question
Posted by: ASM | 2006/07/25

Addicted to Rohypnol

My friend has trouble sleeping and over a number of years has become dependent on Rohypnol. He has a legal prescription for 1.5 a day but recently a dentist friend has given him another. A couple of days ago he complained that he'd taken 4.5 (over a number of hours) and still not slept. Obviously he has developed a tolerance and is addicted. Compounding the problem, he is HIV+, on ARVs and depressed, feels he won't live much longer so why bother - but I'm convinced that a lot of the malaise he feels is due to the Rohypnol rather than AIDS. I don't fancy my chances of getting him into rehab, but if I could present him with facts about the side-effects of Rohypnol and hopefully some info on alternative less damaging sleeping pills some good may come of it ...?

Tolerance and addiction are closely related ; and if his dentist "friend" gave him another prescription knowing that he already had one, that was unprofessional and foolish. Depending on the nature of his physical health re HIV and ARV's, that might be responsible for some degree of the malaise ; but certainly the Rohypnol abuse could also be very relevant here. he doesn't necessarily have to go into rehab, but should see a good local shrink with experience in drug dependency, for assessment and advice, and to devise a safe plan for shifti off of the rohypnol, either to do without such sedatives altogether, or to switch to safer modern alternatives, like Stilnox. But there would still, in that event, be a substantial risk of becoming dependent on ANY sedative, in view of his history, and there might need to be caerful plans made to limit his access to such drugs and keep their use to a minimum