Question
Posted by: AnonForThis | 2007/02/27

Addicted to forums

I have become addicted to the Health24 forums. I read and post at work when I should be working, at home when I should be studying or doing other stuff. I keep checking if CS or someone else have commented on my comments. Looking for validation of my opinions. How do I stop this?

Oops, dare I respond --- or will that only encourage you ?

11
Posted by: Ola | 2007/02/27

Maybe you should change your boss and tutor. They are making you feel guilty!

Reply to Ola
Posted by: AnonForThis | 2007/02/27

Thanks for the replies everybody. Rick you sure don't sugarcoat your message! I agree that self control is a problem, I also have a lack of such in terms of eating sweet stuff. Also my job is challenging, but intensely frustrating and meaningless. However in other areas of my life I have good self control. I'm a high achiever student (Psychology!) and I don't think I do badly as a wife and mom. So I have a lot to keep myself busy with. I don't agree that one can only get addicted to chemical substances - some addictions are purely psychological.

Reply to AnonForThis
Posted by: Buzz | 2007/02/27

I don't usually visit the forum over weekends, but during the week I do and admit that I'm addicted. AnonForThis, I think most of the regulars are addicted too.

Reply to Buzz
Posted by: another Addict | 2007/02/27

C I see yout point, its tru. I left this addiction for a long while. just got back to it recently seeing that my job is becoming redundant.

at least now i no longer go to sexologist i only come to CS forum at least therapy in other aspects of my life is helping because sex used to be all i read about in this forums and cheating. now i dont even take a slight look at cheating topics. it can be bbeaten but i am scared that in february i have not missed any work day without checking it out. i am grateful thou i do not answer to all postings. i open a few and just move on

Reply to another Addict
Posted by: Another Addict | 2007/02/27

AnonForThis, we are on the same boat. I know in my case it has some of Rick's comments. self-esteem issues, self-control, job not challenging and finding escape on the forums. otherwise it is my life that is wholly not fulfilling there are lots of things happening in my life and not the way I hope they should, my life is not where i aimed it to be. so i am in search of answers, this helth24 forums provides to a degree.

Reply to Another Addict
Posted by: C. | 2007/02/27

Been there. It gets better - after a year or two when the novelty wears off. My addiction was from a lack of anything else to do, and as you say, 'validation' or just simply the fact that people gives a sh!t about what you're saying. Maybe you should just take a little break, see if you can live without it. Just for a while.

Reply to C.
Posted by: Rick | 2007/02/27

Your addiction is really an absence of self-control. Unlike a chemical substance, which can really enslave you and flatten your wallet or purse as the case may be, the Internet, and H24 in particular, has no real hold over you.

Ask your IT department remove your internet access in working hours, leaving you to enjoy it during lunch. This won't help with self-control, though, as you are not controlling your access. It is possible that your job is not challenging and that you use the internet as an escape. Find some way to enrich your job, get an additional challenge, or join a project team. if you logging on at home, knowing that the place dies down after 4:30 or so, then you need find something esle to do. Really.

As for seeking validation from the CS for your own comments, I suspect there is a self-esteem issue here.

Reply to Rick
Posted by: Your boss | 2007/02/27

That is why I am your boss. How DARE you expect ME to actually work????

Reply to Your boss
Posted by: AnonForThis | 2007/02/27

LOL Nice to see my boss and tutor here too!! ;)

Reply to AnonForThis
Posted by: your boss | 2007/02/27

IF YOU DON"T STOP YOU ARE FIRED!

Reply to your boss
Posted by: Your Tutor | 2007/02/27

And I will flunk you too!

Reply to Your Tutor