Question
Posted by: Addicted | 2007/08/01

Addicted

Dear Doctor,
I'm addicted to food. Every time something goes wrong, I thing about eating non stop. I'm quite thin but this is disturbing my health and working habits. The biggest problem is that I only want milk fat, maionnaise and sugar rich foods. I'm worried. Is there anything healthy that I could become addicted to instead? I've tried all kinds of activities and nothing helps.

OK, the good news is that you are NOT an addict. You can get addicted to various substances which your body doesn't need at all, but not to food, which you do need. But perhaps you have an Eating Disorder and are rather obsessed about the topic. A dietician could help you pick healthier foods to snack on when you feel peckish, and a psychologist, especially one using CBT methods, could help you to stop being obsessed about all of this completely, and resume a normal and healthy diet, and apply all that energy to more useful things