Posted by: anon-i-mouse | 2008/07/10

i think i am addicted to porn and the i/net. it is now 9am, i arrived at work at 8 and am still playing here, this is my routine. log onto:
gaydar, mamba, health24, facebook, gay2share, webmail, coffee brought to my desk and usually do this till 10, have a walk about the company then check out all the sites again for updates. do some work, go to gym, go home and check all the sites again..this is such a waste of time, my productivity is shot to sh..t, how do i wean myself off, this is a huge problem. i wonder how much time is being lost in the workplace due to the internet?

Expert ImageGay, lesbian and bisexual expert

Hi to you Anon-i-Mouse and thanks for this post.

Process addictions (addictions to porn, sex, the Internet and gambling, as opposed to chemical addictions) have received more media attention of late, which is great, but I'm not convinced that we should jump to the term addiction too quickly - there could be other factors at play. The websites you mention are not primarily pornographic. Is it not possible that you're simply using the Internet to avoid work? In which case you may you want to think about why it could be that you avoid focusing on work - procrastination? a fear off success? a dysfunctional form of stress relief? avoidance of reality? a means of sabotaging your own success?

You ARE able to assert control if you really want to. If your employer allows staff to surf the Internet (many don't, which could be placing you at risk of disciplinary action if you're caught out) compile a day plan on things to do and objectives to meet at work and restrict surfing to when you get home. If you find that your social life is being hampered by your surfing the Internet you could have a problem and it may be wise for you to seek professional help.

Please keep posting.

Posted by: Mario | 2008/07/11

Hi anon

I was in the same boat as you are. And I dont think its about self-discipline, thats why its called an addiction - something you have little or no control over.

I dont know if you have a close friend with whom you can share this, but what I did, I ask a friend of mine to put "parental block" on my laptop and he keeps the password. That way there's no way you can deactivate it or access the websites.

Reply to Mario
Posted by: Nikkits | 2008/07/10

I want to suggest you have a look at your self discipline and dont blame the internet for it. LOL

Too many people are addicted to one thing or another bad/good habbit but in the end it is each person's own decision to do with his/her time what is necessary.

I come here all day and have lots of work to do but dont see myself as unproductive. I have certain work routines that needs my attention daily and I see to that first and foremost.

If the work keeps me off the net, then so be it as it is a third or forth most important thing for me.

Reply to Nikkits