Question
Posted by: anon | 2007/02/21

addict

HI CS my brother in law is addicted to alcohol and drugs. He is 44, left his job and justs stays at home all day sleeping. He is in a terrible state healthwise because of this. HIs parents want to send him to rehab or some kind of programme but he wont go. Is there a legal way for them to do it??

I think there is, and it would be best to discuss this with a lawyer ; and your nearest rehab centres should be able to inform you of the procedures that can be used --- it's not a field I work in, but I know recent cases where, even through a Magistrate's Court, apart from mechanisms within the Mental health Act, people in such a self-damaging state, have been admitted to places like MagaliesOoord, for compulsory treatment