Posted by: Addict | 2004/11/02


Please refer to previous postings Re treatment for alcoholism. I phoned the local branch of AA today, and could not believe that the only numbers they could give me was that of 2 provincial hospitals. Is there no place to go in private? I am not better than any other person, but feel that it can be treated in a more proffesional way. I am able and willing to pay; dont want the treatment for free, but it must be short, and proffesional. I know about Stepping Stones and Kennilworth, but they want to force yoy into a 3 week programme. I can only afford to take leave for max 5 days. Is there any way out for me? Medical aid and finance not a problem, my only requirement is confidentiality and the duration. I can not approach my own doctor, as he is a personal friend and does not know about my problem. I can only mention that at this stage I still complete a full day's productive work, but feel that it is getting at me.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

I don't recall where in the country you are. But private hospitals, particularly private psychiatric hospitals, which exist in the main centers, certainly do deal with alcoholism and other addictions, and you'd need to see a private psychiatrist for assessment and a planned admission. Confidentality should always be part of the treatment,
5 days is pushing it if a proper detox is needed ( and there's no point at all in doing a lousy job of it, you deserve far more than that !). But speak to a good local shrink and see what can be planned. 5 days plus a long weekend can be 8 days, and more realistic. And no short detox admission solves the problem, it is only a part of the solution. So follow-up and further work, which need not involve days off work, will be needed.
if your job is aware of the problem, they should show some flexibility to enable you to do this properly. You';re worth it.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: ....... | 2004/11/03

5 days...! Like someone suggested previously, you need to stop drinking, eat lots of fruit and veggies (Vit C), go to Gym to help you with detox.

I suggest you go and see a different doctor that you can discuss this with firstly. Then go and see a shrink/counselor, also as Kasandra said, you need to look at the underlying problem. So AA is a good idea if you can face up to your problem of alcholism.

Also, if your manager is aware of your problem, present these steps to him/her. Surely if they see you are seriously seeking help for your problem, they should be lenient.

Reply to .......
Posted by: Kasandra | 2004/11/03


Usually one detox but if you dont work on the underlying issues that make you drink you will not improve your life. There is no quick fix unfortunately.

They advise you to take a 3 week program so you can detox safely and work with councellors and get necessary support - cause support is essential -

Reply to Kasandra
Posted by: o.m. | 2004/11/03

I doubt anyone can detox in 5 days or even 7 days you can speak to any GP there is a product that you can take that should you drink it makes you react very badly but again it is as strong as what you allow yourself to be like smoking all the patches in the world will not make you stop go see any other GP and ask his advice.

Reply to o.m.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.