Question
Posted by: addict | 2004/10/14

addict

I need a detox from codein and alcohol. Can anybody suggest a place in Cape Towwn ? It must be a 2 or 3 days treatment, since it is not possible for me to teake keave. Please reply.

Dear addict,
Firstly, congratulations on recognizing that you have become dependent on these chemicals, and that you need to rid yourself of them. Excellent so far. On this site I don't recommend specific shrinks or clinics, for a number of good reasons. I'd think your first step should be to see a good local psychiatrist for assessment of exactly what sort of detox you need, as much depends on how much codeine and alcohol you have been taking, and for how long, physical state, and so on. Then it'd be practical to make a good plan, as to WHERE to go to detox / rehab, and what would be the minimum time needed to do it properly. Depending on circumstances, maybe a long weekend would be practical, at least as a first step. But both codeine ( which is closely related to Morphine ) and Alcohol can take longer to clear your system. YOu DO need to get rid of them, but not by trying to do it in too much of a hurry so that the effects disturb your work more than a few days of leave would do.
And Kasandra's advice has usually proved to be good, so think of Kenilworth.

4
Posted by: Collin | 2004/10/15

I wouldn't suggest cold turkey. Consider Cybershrink's advice as codeine taken with alcohol could cause some pretty bad heart conditions if dead-stopped. Seek good advice. I'm telling this to myself too as I'm still struggling to kick analgesics with the odd beer or two.

Reply to Collin
Posted by: Molly | 2004/10/15

Cant you try go cold turkey? Get family member to help you. Take off sick for two weeks and stay indoors with someone. Unless you have medical aid its going to be expensive at a good clinic.

Reply to Molly
Posted by: Kasandra | 2004/10/15

Try Kenilworth Clinic - please do it for yourself you know you are worth it and you know you can earn your respect towards yourself back by helping yourself.

I am also an addict take that first step surrender.

You can find Kenilworth Clinics number in the cape town phone book there is also Stepping Stones.

GOOD LUCK

Reply to Kasandra
Posted by: Q | 2004/10/15

Codine and alcohol adiction is some of the worst adictions you can have and takes longer than 3 days, Your doc can give you a sick not for the time you need and by law they do not have to state the reason for the note so get your self n desind place talk to your doc get the note and do it, you cant work if you are dead so 2 weeks can make that diffrance for you!!!

Reply to Q