Question
Posted by: juliette | 2008/07/31

addendum to heart/asthma/menopause/what

I HAVE PASTED MY ORIGINAL MESSAGE BELOW SO YOU KNOW IT' S ME- I FORGOT TO ADD THAT I AM JUST SO VERY TIRED. I AM NOT SICK THOUGH, AND I TAKE LOTS OF NATURAL, SAFE, ANTI-AGEING SUPPLEMENTS AND VITAMINS.
How can I tell if this is heart or lungs or menopause? Wake up at night sweating, get hot flushes/sweats in the day, about 50% days get one to 3 ,say 10 minute, periods when I feel as if not getting enough oxygen and need to take a number of very deep breaths. This also happens with the night sweats, which feel like lack of oxygen as well as pounding heart. Sometimes, say once a week, chest feels clamped down and almost sore. Then I take deep breaths and chest feels sort of stiff. also about once a week at different times, I feel slightly dizzy and unbalanced and need to sit down (and again I breathe deeply to help) for a while. Exercise of any sort leaves me very breathless but actually feeling ok.Usually. Sometimes I get a bit dizzy. I never feel nauseous and the sweats are always hot, never cold. I don'  t sleep well anymore. I wake several times in the night due to the above as well as badly aching legs and I have even started to snore, just sometimes!!! It wakes me up. I am 58 white female.

Hi Juliette
You can do an FSH blood test to determine if you are in menopause or not. However, you have possible symptoms of heart disease and I think you need an ECG and x/ray of the chest at least. Your doctor may need to check your magnesium and potassium levels as well to see if the aching legs are due to mineral shortages or joint disease or muscle problems. Please see your GP as soon as possible.