Question
Posted by: wondering | 2006/04/21

added cms?

I've been doing weight training for the last 3 weeks now with my trainer. I've heard that your muscle sits under your fat so when you do weigth training the muscles might not show but it'll be there. My question now is for example on my tummy - if I gain more muscle there is it going to increase my cm's/waist measurement because it's going to be added to the fat? I'm not overweight but have some flab and I'm noticing my stomach is actually looking bigger, I've been eating correctly. If this is the case I don't know if I really want that muscles! I'm dreaming of my sixpack stomach but will that happen? Will the sixpack actually make my tummy stand out more? I hope I'm making sense. Thank you

Dear Wondering
Fatty tissue can be distributed all over the body and collect in the so-called fat depots, like the stomach, hips, etc. Doing aerobic exercise should cause weight loss by using up some of the fat so that you should see a decrease in cm. However, if you are doing muscle building exercises, they could make your muscles increase in size and even cause bulging like often happens with extreme body builders. However, I doubt that 3 weeks of training could have such an effect. Take your measurements and check them once a week to see if you are actually reducing. If not, then discuss this with your trainer (that is after all what trainers are for) and possibly change over to aerobic fat-burning exercises. You also say that you have been eating correctly, but if your energy intake has been increased by using large quantities of high-energy body building supplements, then you may be gaining weight, not losing it.