Question
Posted by: Mindful (aka Mindless) | 2004/10/08

AD's vs Herbal

Hi CS,

I know you spoke about this to Leela about this on the 4th last week. I promised my friend that I would look into this because she's worried that I'm about to do something stupid. As you know, I've been going through a bit of a negative patch at the moment, and finally hit rock bottom during the week. Yesterday I was feeling particularly anxious, and I ended up cutting myself a couple of times. It gave me a rush, but it did settle my nerves a little. I was in tears for no reason yesterday afternoon. Now, my friend is really concerned (she had no idea all this was happening - told her on tuesday), and she's spoken to her brother who is a doctor, and he says I should be on AD's. I don't feel as though I'm depressed though, and I'm not quite comfortable with the idea of taking medication to "make me feel better". I think I'm scared that I will become reliant on that. I promised her that I would look into a herbal alternative, but I got the impression that you weren't too keen on St Johns Wort? What would you suggest?

Dear Mindful,
I don'tthink one should decide these things as a sort of abstract principal. It'd be best for you to see a shrink for a proper assessment, and to then discuss treatments in the light of the results of that assessment. Maybe AD's could help. They don't "make you feel better" but may enable you to feel better, which is nicer. And I doubt that you will become reliant on them, and will be able to stop when they have done their jo, and not earlier. What I keep saying about St John's Wort is that its about the only one of these herbal remedies whose claims have stood up, to some degree, to proper research, and it CAN be helpful in mild depressions, not in significantly severe depressions. And that it is not the complete alternative to the Prozacs of this world, as it works in the same chemical way as prozac and the other SSRI's, though milder. So it's a vegetable prozac. It's other herbal remedies where I am still waiting to see good evidence of effectiveness and safety.
So if one is mildly depressed, the wort might work. If one is severely depressed, it may not be powerful enough, and one may do better on a regular AD medication.
Pleased to hear CP Mom is doing well on Cipralex, the Super-Wort !

1
Posted by: CP MOM | 2004/10/08

Hi Mindful :-)

All I can say to you is that I've tried St Johns Wort for the last 2 years on and off due to the fact that I ALSO don't want to go on presc. drugs and "get hooked".... I could never really notice that it did something to help me...

Being a pisces I have an addictive personality *joke*

Recently I however have gone on Cipralex and I must say that
that I'm feeling GREAT the last 3 days, really, I get up in the morning and I SEE the flowers and FEEL the sun on my face again..... I have patience with my child which I have not had for a looong time. Maybe it's the sleeping tablets and the fact that I'm for the first time in many years actually sleeping through the nite... I don't know but these herbal goodies... I don't know.

My daughter has ADHD on top of the CP and the herbal stuff like ADDvantage and Calmolin did NOTHING for her.....

But CS will know best....

Have a FAB. FRIDAY !

Reply to CP MOM