Question
Posted by: Marek | 2007/07/18

Acute tendon rupture - treatment

I wonder if you can help me with this complicated dilema !

I was hit by a hockey ball on the arch of my left foot (in May), the tendon that runs from the heel to the big toe was really painful and I sat the rest of the game out. I went for an x-ray to check that nothing was broken and I was fine.
The arch of the foot was bruised for a few days and I packed it with ice packs in the evenings. The bruising went down and the sharp pain subsided but there was always a dull pain.

In late May I went to the doctor and he was convinced it was simply inflamation and I agreed(+/- 2weeks later), so he gave an anti-inflamatory injection into the tendon. I flew to London a few days later.

Once the anti-inflamatory wore off, the dull pain was back. I was walking around a lot and was taking Ibuprofen tablets. I read a friends Sports Injury book and 'self-diagnosed' that the tendon may be slightly torn. The book reccomended Rest and Heat.
Ive been applying a heat pack now in the evenings and trying to rest. I havent run since I left SA, but walk a bit during the day which Ive tried to cut down. I got myself a box of Ibuprofen and take 2 a day.

I am a 25year old guy, Im used to running/cycling/swiming often so I dont know how much more rest I can take.

Is there anything else I should be doing ? Am I doing the right thing with the heat packs ? Is there something I can take to speed up the healing of the tendon ?

Thanks for your help

Marek

Expert ImageArchive

czecz Marek

From the heel to big toe it is more likely to be a plantar fasciitis problem. This is the covering on the sole of the foot. It can be treated by stretching the bottom of fhte foot. Aklso canbe treated with corticosteroid /local anaesthetic injectiions.
If a tendon tear it can be picked up by ultrasound.

dr P