Posted by: Marek | 2007/07/18

Acute tendon rupture - treatment


I wonder if you can help me with this complicated dilema !

I was hit by a hockey ball on the arch of my left foot (in May), the tendon that runs from the heel to the big toe was really painful and I sat the rest of the game out. I went for an x-ray to check that nothing was broken and I was fine.
The arch of the foot was bruised for a few days and I packed it with ice packs in the evenings. The bruising went down and the sharp pain subsided but there was always a dull pain.

In late May I went to the doctor and he was convinced it was simply inflamation and I agreed(+/- 2weeks later), so he gave an anti-inflamatory injection into the tendon. I flew to London a few days later.

Once the anti-inflamatory wore off, the dull pain was back. I was walking around a lot and was taking Ibuprofen tablets. I read a friends Sports Injury book and 'self-diagnosed' that the tendon may be slightly torn. The book reccomended Rest and Heat.
Ive been applying a heat pack now in the evenings and trying to rest. I havent run since I left SA, but walk a bit during the day which Ive tried to cut down. I got myself a box of Ibuprofen and take 2 a day.

I am a 25year old guy, Im used to running/cycling/swiming often so I dont know how much more rest I can take.

Is there anything else I should be doing ? Am I doing the right thing with the heat packs ? Is there something I can take to speed up the healing of the tendon ?

Thanks for your help


Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageArchive

czecz Marek

From the heel to big toe it is more likely to be a plantar fasciitis problem. This is the covering on the sole of the foot. It can be treated by stretching the bottom of fhte foot. Aklso canbe treated with corticosteroid /local anaesthetic injectiions.
If a tendon tear it can be picked up by ultrasound.

dr P

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.