Question
Posted by: Tony | 2004/03/04

acut gout attack

I am a 50 year old male, 3 weeks ago I injured my left rib section, xrays showed a little muscle swelling only. a week later I developed what was diagnosed as gout in my right wrist. I was given colchicine, the swelling almost disappeared but the pain in the wrist remained(intense). A week ago i was admitted to hospital due to the continued extreme pain, a slight swelling had also developed in my right foot. after many different blood tests, my two attending doctors have still not arrived at a final diagnosis, but the pain continues in my wrist, foot and rib section. Apart from the rib injury, I have been suffereing extreme high levels of stress, but my Dr says it is an inection and cannot be as a result of anything stress related. I am not convinced of this, as I have read on many occassions how on badly stress can affect your body. What do you think?

Tony, stress more often causes slowly progressing problems and not acute ones. The stress might certainly have played a role in this, but I doubt that it is the sole cause. It sounds like inflammation or an infection, but I can’t tell you why it developed. The best would be to hang in there and see what the tests say. Good luck.
PS. It would be interesting to know what it was, so drop me a line if you have the time.