Question
Posted by: MAUREEN | 2004/10/31

ACUPUNCTURE FOR MY DOG

My dog a LARGE worshond (basset cross staffie weiginh 32 kg) has developed back (spinal) problems and today I notice his tail is no longer erect and hanging limply. I believe this is as a result of a pinched nerve. Having just experienced severe back problems myself and after spending thousands of rands on MRI's bone scans etc have found relief in electro magnetic field therapy and acupuncture. Is there a vet treting animals with acupuncture in Cape Town - preferably Northern suburbs.

Many thanks

Maureen

You can phone Dr Barry Hindmarch on 021 6740034.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

2
Posted by: Chill | 2004/10/31

If you'll take a look at Question 1459 on this forum you will see how to find a veterinary acupuncture specialist in Cape Town. Not the Northern suburbs, unfortunately (for you), but not at all difficult to find.

Having said that... if that were to happen to my dog, I would have him at the vet's in a flash, because any kind of paralysis needs to be looked at pronto - I certainly wouldn't just assume it's a 'pinched nerve'.

I also suspect you'll be told that the dog needs to lose weight... 32 kg sounds like a lot for the kind of dog you describe, and this can have a huge impact on his back and joints - if I'm right, it could significantly affect his quailty (and length) of life.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Davina | 2004/10/31

Hi Maureen,

I believe Dr. Malan (Cybervet) has an acupuncturist at his practice. Take a look at his website (click on "who is cybervet")

I hope this treatment helps your boy.

Davina

Reply to Davina