Question
Posted by: Jan | 2007/02/17

Actonel / ckd stage 2/3

I've been prescribed Actonel for approximately 2 years. My bone density scan at that time showed:
L1-L4 lumbar spine bmd.

Spine : 0.9561g/cm2 Value is -0.30 z score -0.90 t score
Hip
femoral neck bmd 0.7504 g/cm2 value is -035 z score -2.02 t score
History of osteoporosis on both maternal/paternal side of family...mother had suffered at 4 spinal collapses...I also have a slight case of scoliosis also evident on mother's side of family.

Other hip sites bmd is borderline low at the trochanter is mildy reduced at Wards triangle
I was recently diagnosed with Chronic Kidney Disease fluctuating between Stage 2 and 3.
I have read that Actonel is not good for people with ckd. How do I know whether this is a risk taking.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Jan,

Thank you for your message. As with any form of medication, there is a risk of developing potential complications and side effects. Clearly these adverse reactions can be of a greater consequence when viewed as part of an overall picture like yours, where underlying chronic disease is occurring concurrently.

I would do a couple of things before making any decisions. Firstly, I would arrange a repeat bone density scan to obtain your current values. Once you have this information, I would make an appointment to see your gynae and your renal specialist to discuss your concerns and to explore the possibility of additonal ways to tackle your osteoporosis. I am sure that your renal specialist will want to monitor your kidney function closely, especially if you choose to continue with your current medication or opt for a change.

I hope that this helps.

Best wishes, Dr. Gary Riley