Question
Posted by: sky | 2004/02/18

activity after flu

I have just had a bad case of flu this past weekend. I think I have recovered (maybe just lacking in some energy). I have a cycling race this Sunday but some people have still advised that though I feel better, my system may not take the strain well - will it strain my heart as by Sunday it will only be a week after I had the flu.

I would also suggest taking it easy - if you are over the flu, then the strain on the heart is probably not all that great a concern - the important and difficult thing is to know exactly when you are over it. If you are absolutely sure, then it's OK, but you usually start feeling better before the virus is completely dealt with by the body. So, caution is the operative word. The other consideration is that very strenuous exercise when the body is still in the recover phase is likely to cause relapse, and so you have both concerns. Having said that, if you are feeling better now, then I would expect that by the weekend, you will be feeling almost back to normal. The choice is then very much up to you as to whether you ride or not. Personally, I would say that most people should rather be pragmatic and give the race a miss, because your performance will not be what you might expect, coming back from illness, and so you have a lot to lose, and probably not much to gain. It might be a wiser option to conserve your energy, maybe do a very light session instead, and then build up for the race the week after. But, as I said, the choice is yours, provided you go into it realistically and with all the possibilities known.