Question
Posted by: Melani | 2005/11/23

ACTIVE KOCH'S DISEASE

My hubby is a factory supervisor and has had a persistent cough for about 4 months now.

Went for first chest x-ray which showed consolidation in upper lobes of lungs + shadow on lung.
was put on meds and sent for 3 sputum tests which came back negative.

Went for second chest x-ray and results came back as follows :
appearance unchanged, active Kochs disease.

What is this + treatment and prognosis ?
How come the sputum tests were all negative.

Please help - I am currently pregnant at 5 months and deeply worried !!!

Melani, the best would be to see a specialist physician as the TB will destroy his lungs if not treated properly. A normal infection will seldom last 4 months, so TB is still very likely. The specialist will probably do more tests and maybe even a bronchoscopy to prove that it is TB and then start the treatment. Good luck.

1
Posted by: Melani | 2005/11/24

PS Doc - My husband was referred to the Chest Clinic yesterday where he underwent more chest x-rays + sputum tests. Doctor there concluded that it is NOT TB, but a chest infection. Gave him antibiotics and he is to back next month for another sputum test.

is all this adequate and conclusive treatment ?

Reply to Melani