Question
Posted by: Karen | 2008/06/10

Acne scars

Hi, would just like to know if there is any treatment on this planet that actually works to get rid of or at least lessen acne scarring. Im 43 have acne scars over the face they are not holes as such but best described as dents ! I have a huge complex about them, wont go to very brightly lit places etc. I have had peels in the past which have made zero improvement and dermabrasion which is a waste of money too. I just want to know if there is anything that helps or not, so then I know to give up !

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Karen, thank you for the question.

This is a difficult question to answer over the net, as your best option would be to have the area of concern examined by a dermatologist, plastic surgeon, or an aesthetic medical practitioner. Following this, one can advise on the appropriate treatment regime. I will list a few pointers to help in your decision when choosing a treatment option.

Five different scar types may be found following inflammatory acne outbreaks:

Ice Pick Scars: usually occur on the cheek and are usually small, with a somewhat jagged edge and steep sides. They may be shallow or deep, and may be hard or soft to the touch (soft scars can be improved by stretching the skin while hard scars cannot be stretched out).
Soft Scars: these may be superficial or deep and are usually soft to the touch. They have gently sloping rolled edges that merge with normal skin and tend to be small with either a circular or linear shape.
Atrophic Macules: these are usually fairly small when they occur on the face, but may be a centimeter or larger on the body. They are soft, often with a slightly wrinkled base, and may be bluish in appearance due to blood vessels lying just under the scar. Over time, these scars change from bluish to ivory white in color in white-skinned people, and become much less obvious.
Follicular Macular Atrophy: more likely to occur on the chest or back of a person with acne. These are small, white, soft lesions, often barely raised above the surface of the skin.

Treatments Available:
Laser: Syneron’s Matrix IR, Fraxel, Pixel, etc.
Fillers: Non-Animal Hyaluronic Acid Fillers, Autologous fat, etc.
Surgical Excision: Punch Biopsy, surgical removal, or skin grafts.
Dermabrasion: do not confuse this with microdermabrasion. Dermabrasion is an ‘in-theatre procedure’ and it entails a rotary wheel that rubs the skin raw – not my suggestion.
It is important to discuss all of these options with the medical practitioner you choose, including side effects, complications, downtime experienced, expected results and improvements, etc.