Question
Posted by: Karin | 2007/08/12

acne scars

Is there ANYTHING out there that helps acne scaring (Old scaring) some say try the lazer it plumps up the skin ? some say there is nothing one can do ! They are not deep holes just dents in the skin but have bothered me for so many years and cause such a complex, I am aware of lighting and avoid certains kinds of light. It is basicall my whole face except the forehead (typical).

Thank you !

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hello Karin, thank you for the question.

You have a number of options and I will list them as follows:

You will need to undergo either through a coarse of single or combination peels (Glycolic and TCA peels), depending on the severity of the scarring, performed by a trained aesthetic practitioner or dermatologist/plastic surgeon; or deeper acid peels as they have shown good results with severe acne scarring. These treatments can be followed with at home application of AHA (alpha hydroxyl acid) and the practitioner who you consult should be able to recommend a good brand, dosages and application times. In 1999, a study published in the Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology, showed that people with mild to moderate acne scarring did very well with only glycolic acid peels. They tend to produce a short down time and very little or no redness. My advice would be to try the NeoStrata glycolic acid peels (performed by a trained doctor) starting with the 20% and moving the strength up as necessary.
Needling has also shown good results with mild to moderate scarring, and may be a cheaper option than laser. Most aesthetic practitioners, dermatologists and plastic surgeons can perform this procedure. Dr Des Fernandes highlighted this procedure and the results at various conferences.
You may also try lasers (Fraxel, Pixel) for the removal of acne scarring especially for the medium to deep variety. Recently studies have shown that IPL does improve mild acne scarring, particularly when combined with infrared, radiofrequency or the combination. If you live in Cape Town you are welcome to phone my office at (021) 797 0960 to make an appointment for a consultation regarding the acne scarring and treatment options.