Posted by: KCUD | 2008/07/25

I would like to ask for a suitable over the counter treatment that I can used for my acne. I tried acne clear, cuticura, and others I jst forgot the names.
I am having acne in the deeper layers of my skin in my face. There is no day that I dont get one, if this one get away,the next morning I can even find two or three very big and painful. They are not that bad but I want a clean face and I am even afraid to apply make-up cos I think It will worsen the problem.

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hello ‘KCUD’, thank you for the question.

Your best approach would be to consult a dermatologist who can examine the skin and advise you on the appropriate treatment regime.

The following at home care should be followed irrespective of the severity of acne as these skin care guidelines (unless your dermatologist instructs otherwise) can help improve treatment results:
Do NOT pop, squeeze or pick at acne as this can make acne worse by spreading inflammation. With medical treatment, removing lesions is rarely necessary;however, when comedo removal is needed, it should be performed by an experienced healthcare professional.
Gently wash your face twice a day with a mild cleanser and pat dry.Acne is not caused by poor hygiene, and vigorous washing and scrubbing will not clear your skin. In fact, scrubbing, exfoliating, and using hard brushes or granules can irritate your skin and make the acne worse.
Use “noncomedogenic” (does not clog pores) cosmetics and toiletries.When buying cosmetics and other products that you will use on your skin or hair, be sure to look for ones labeled “noncomedogenic.” Makeup, sunscreen and toiletries that are not likely to cause acne state that they are “noncomedogenic” on the product.
Avoid aggravating your acne:
Oily hair, sporting equipment that rubs against your skin and airborne grease—all can irritate and make your acne worse.
Ways you can avoid these situations include:
If you have oily hair, keep it off your face and wash it daily.
Avoid using hair care products that contain oil, such as pomades and gels.
Wear cotton clothing or moleskin under sporting equipment to avoid skin-to-equipment contact.
Give acne products enough time to do their job. As a rule of thumb, it takes 6 to 8 weeks before you begin to see an improvement.

NeoStrata have an excellent acne/oily skin care range (others to consider are Environ& Nimue) and one should consider using and maintaining a good topical regime.

You can log onto my web page and in the left hand column under the RESOURCES table click SKIN & ACNE CLASSIFICATION. Use the visual acne grading system and once you have graded your system click on the appropriate TREATMENT GUIDELINE tab for a more in depth and personalized approach for your acne treatment.

Posted by: Nicky | 2008/08/05

Try Clearasil ULTRA cream. It worked for me immediately This after a long search for a permanent cure to my acne.

Reply to Nicky