Question
Posted by: Sandy | 2007/08/24

ACNE

I have been to a dermatologists in March and she prescribed Tetralysal 300mg and bleach for the marks. I have been on the tablets for 3 months, and it did not help. I have pimples popping out every day and it's full with pus. I have been battling to get an appointment with the dermatologist again, always fully book and there are not many in the Benoni area. Is there something I can get over the counter to just help in the meantime and is there any cream that I can use, coz the pimples usually leaving black marks on my face.

Expert ImagePharmacist

Acne have various possible causes - Bacterial related acne is only one type. These are treated with an oral and/or topical antibiotic such as the Tetralysal that you have been using.

Hormonal related acne is another frequent cause in females - This is when doctors prescribe Dianne , sometimes with Androcur.

Roaccutane is used in severe cases of acne.

These products will require a visit to your doctor.

Your pharmacist should be able to supply Skinoren cream which may provide some degree of help. Ask him/her to have a look and recommend something suitable

10
Posted by: Lorri | 2007/09/06

Such a nightmare. I am 32 and have had acne since I was 11. I am also struggling. have been on Dianne for years. Even did Roacutane. I have scars. I also get the -|- type, that leaves scars, even if you don't pinch them. Can anyone suggest something for the scars? My acne is hormone related. I was on HRT & clomid last year & had the worst break out ever. I was too ashamed to even leave my bedroom.

Reply to Lorri
Posted by: SR | 2007/09/03

Hi Shanny

Thanks - are these products expensive.

Reply to SR
Posted by: Shanny | 2007/09/03

Hi!
I am on the environ subugel, sebuwash and sebutone, it is helping my skin alot.

Reply to Shanny
Posted by: SR | 2007/08/29

Hi Anne

Thanks for ur response, I am using Johnson & Johnson PH 5.5, but the derm. recommended that I use Sunlight soap apparently its very mild on the skin. I have visited the site and also requested details of consultant in my area. I am definitely going to contact once of the consultants for advice, actuall quite excited about environ - read a few testimonials on the site and people are very satisfied with the product.

Thanks again

Reply to SR
Posted by: Anne | 2007/08/28

Dear Sandy,go Environ's website they have offices in Jhb who can refer you to a beautician / therapist in your area.Try to refrain from the Sunlight soap & depending on finances get yourself a proper face wash ie Johnsons PH 5.5 for your skin type I found that soap was my worst nightmare.Remember it takes time to repair damage.Your other alternatives are rooibos or aloe ferox you will only notice a real change in 6 - 12 weeks of continuous use of a range of products

Reply to Anne
Posted by: Sandy | 2007/08/28

Dear Pharmacist

Thanks for ur response - I did use skinoren before and it was excellent - help for the acne and marks.

Thanks again

Reply to Sandy
Posted by: Sandy | 2007/08/28

Hi Anne

I don't use alot of products on my skin. I wash my face with sunlight soap (not the one u use for washing clothes :)) was recommened by the Derm. and then I cleanse like once/twice a week with Johnson and Johnson toner and then apply sun block as prescribed by the Dermatologists. Where can one purhcase Environ skincare and was this recommended by a beautician/derm.

Reply to Sandy
Posted by: Anne | 2007/08/27

Ladies I struggled until I was in my late 20's (26 /27) with Acne. Between medication and Environ skincare my skin cleared up. Speak to a beautician or try as little chemical products as possible

Reply to Anne
Posted by: Sandy | 2007/08/27

Hi Lorna

My problems with acne started when I was 12yrs old am now 36 and have being visiting the dermatologists for the past 14 yrs. I have to go at least once per year to the dermatologist, or else it just gets worst and worst. I am so fed up. Its costing a fortune every year. Have been on Roaccutane only once its just too expensive. I honestly wish the doctors could tell us what is causing this acne, is it something we are allergic to etc. than just prescribing antibiotics and creams which only helps while we are taking it.

But thanks for ur response and all the luck.

Reply to Sandy
Posted by: Lorna | 2007/08/24

Hi Sandy just to let you know you are not alone. I also have pimples with pus and I also have marks from the pimples. I don't even have to touch them yet they still leave marks. My acne came when I was 11 and I am now 33 - I have been on Roaccutane 6 times and am still here fighting acne every day.

you're not alone.

Pharm pls answer this if poss - is there a certain type of acne which will not respond to even roaccutane?

Reply to Lorna