Question
Posted by: Joan | 2007/05/23

Acidity and circulation

Dear doctor

Just enquiring if acidic blood can cause circulatory problems and anemia?
I have read recently that if blood is acidic, it can cause "clumping" of red blood cells?
Is this true? (my GP don't really believe in this "acid system" diseases).
As a naturopath, I am sure you'll be able to enlighten me more.

My main problem is that soon after I eat a spicy meal (like curry), I tend to feel very sleepy. I have no other diagnosed medical conditions.

Date: 14/5/2007

Expert ImageNatural health

the Acidic system is something that can be measured by a lithmus paper (put paper first thing in morning and have a look at the colour. The colour gives an indication of how acidic / alkaline a person is. With dark field microscope the red blood cells show clumping. Acidic blood would not necessarily cause circulatory problems / anemia but symptoms of acidity can include fatigue, stiff joints, dry skin and a general sense of not feeling well.

Dr Debbie