Posted by: CK | 2004/10/22


I am very acidic which tends to make me quite nauseous sometimes especially if I haven't eaten (I eat breakfast at 10.30am). When I excercise, my sweat burns my skin and I itch like crazy only on my neck,chest and upper back. I eat alot of fruit & veg mainly apple & banana, pear - alteranate guava & orange on alternative days. I drink alot of water and alot of mix a drink which is an artificially sweetend cooldrink. I notice that this mix contains "citric acid" - would this contribute at all to my acidic build up???
Please advise

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear CK
There tends to be a controversy about what is meant by the concept "acidic foods". Foods that have an acid taste like lemon juice, citrus fruits and strawberries do not actually produce an acid reaction in the body once they are metabolised, in contrast the final product of the metabolism of such foods is alkaline. Acid residues are formed by meat, fish, poultry, eggs, cheese, peanut butter, peanuts, bacon, Brazil and walnuts, all types of bread, cereals, pasta, corn on the cob, cranberries, plums, prunes and plain cakes and cookies. Alkaline residues are formed in the body when we eat all milk and dairy products, almonds, chestnuts, coconut, all types of fruit (except corn on the cob, lentils), all types of fruit except the ones listed under acid ash. Fats and oils, sugar, honey, maizena, tapioca and coffee and tea are classed as neutral. I think you may be developing sweat rashes which are probably unrelated to your diet. It may, however, be a good idea to have a checkup with a Dermatologist to see if you have a skin condition that can be treated. The artificial cooldrink may well contain some ingredient such as an artificial flavouring or preservative that is giving you a reaction. Try cutting it out for awhile to see if the condition improves.
I am, however, worried that the nausea you experience may be due to gastritis or ulcers. Do have a medical checkup to see if you have ulcers so that you can obtain the necessary treatment.
Best regards

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.