Question
Posted by: Alison | 2008/01/22

Acid relux, diet and nutrition

Dear Dietdoc

I wrote to you about my recently diagnosed acid relux (acidic stomache) which the doctors misdiagnosed and put me through 3 courses of antibiotics. (stuffed up my stocmache nicely)
so i am on lansolc now, but would very much like to read up on what/what not to eat. I searched for your article, under yoru directions - Diet and then did a search , but for the life os me can't find it. Could you possibly email it to me?

i would greatly appreciate it.
thank you
ALiosn

Dear Alison
I can for obvious reasons not send e-mails to my Readers. Let's try again: Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page to access the 'Diet section of the Health24 site'. Then use the Search function and type in 'Acid Reflux and Diet' or 'GERD' or 'GASTRO-OESOPHAGEAL REFLUX DISEASE (GERD) & DIET' which should help you find the article. In general here are some pointers regarding excess acid production: Heartburn, acid reflux and also stomach ulcers, are caused by excess acid production in the stomach and if the patient has food in the stomach this give the acid something it can work on instead of attacking the stomach lining. In fact, the use of 6 smaller meals a day is a good idea when suffering from heartburn or ulcers because this would mean that the you practically always has some food in your stomach to prevent acid erosion. You should split up your main meals into 2 smaller meals each. One of the most important factors in excess acid production and heartburn is stress. If you suffer from heartburn, you will have to experiment with the foods you eat that may cause problems (raw onions, garlic, cucumber, green peppers, very spicy foods and condiments, gas-cold drinks, very fatty foods, etc and all alcohol). This is often an individual reaction and you will have to keep a food diary to see what foods cause this problem and then cut them out. If you find that this is too difficult, then please consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), who will help you pinpoint trigger foods and work out a diet that avoids them. To relieve stress I would recommend that you should learn relaxing techniques, how to do deep breathing exercises and some form of physical exercise which is also relaxing, such as yoga. Going for brisk walks in the fresh air also helps to relieve tension.