Question
Posted by: alilson | 2008/01/14

acid in stomache

hi
I am 38 and have recently been diagnosed with acid relfux by a ear/thraot speacialist. He said i was fairly young for it..i have been researching on the net and it seems it can cuase serious problems if left untreated Could you suggest any specfic food i could eat and any advice. should i go on medication forever, what would you suggest? twice thsi week i have worken up with a sharp pain in my throat that goes away. (I also sleep with my mouth open)

thank you
Alison

Dear Alison
I recently wrote an article on the subject of 'Gastro-esophageal reflux disease (GERD) & Diet' to access this article check the DietDoc site by clicking on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'DietDoc's articles', or do a Search on the Health24 Website with 'GERD" or 'Reflux disease'. It may also be a good idea to consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), so that the dietitian can determine what you are eating at present that is causing distress and assist you in changing your diet to exclude the offending foods.