Question
Posted by: Adrian | 2007/04/18

Acid & alkaline forming foods

I am busy reading Kathryn Marsden's "The Complete Book of Food Combining" in which she states that acid-forming foods include microwaved food. I am trying to increase my consumption of alkaline-forming foods and her assertion worries me. Does this mean that the millet cereal I cook in my microwave will be acid-forming rather than alkaline-forming? If so, I will have to stop using my microwave and cooking will take a lot longer. The book does not provide any means to contact Kathryn with queries and I hope you don't mind providing me with your opinion. Many thanks for your great website!!

Dear Adrian
Thank you for your kind words. I am not acquainted with Kathryn Marsden and her book on food combining or the theory that microwaving a good can change its pH. I generally use the following as a rule of thumb about acid and alkaline foods: Foods that have an acid taste like lemon juice, citrus fruits and strawberries do not actually produce an acid reaction in the body once they are metabolised, in contrast the final product of the metabolism of such foods is alkaline. Acid residues are formed by meat, fish, poultry, eggs, cheese, peanut butter, peanuts, bacon, Brazil and walnuts, all types of bread, cereals, pasta, corn on the cob, cranberries, plums, prunes and plain cakes and cookies. Alkaline residues are formed in the body when we eat all milk and dairy products, almonds, chestnuts, coconut, all types of fruit (except corn on the cob, lentils), all types of fruit except the ones listed under acid ash. Fats and oils, sugar, honey, maizena, tapioca and coffee and tea are classed as neutral.
You will see that all types of cereals, including millet (no matter how it is cooked) are classified as acid-forming. You can always try doing a Google Search using the name 'Kathryn Marsden' as your search term to see if you can contact the author.