Question
Posted by: SL | 2008/01/08

Aching muscles

hi
i am quite active (4-6 times at gym) and i have also started Bikram yoga, but i am finding that my legs have been aching so much and are stiff that my muscles almost seem to have "grown bigger" instead of leaner. i am running and doing the elliptical quite a lot.
i also stretch afterwards.
please let me know if there is any supplement i could be taking, or something i could do that could decrease the 'large' look and the aching
tx so much
shannon

HI SL

In order to suddenly have developed aching, painful muscles, something has to have changed in your training in the last little while. The pain you're feeling, which uncomfortable, is quite normal, but only really happens when the training changes. So either you've done more than usual, or you're training a little harder, or you've started a new activity recently.

Those three things, all of which involve possibly loading the muscles differently, can cause aching muscles. But one of them must be present. Perhaps you've recently begun running, or you're running a lot faster or further than you used to. Or perhaps the Yoga, combined witht he other training is the cause. Once you do this and the muscles are a little damaged, then you can get swelling, which is only temporary, but you just need to identify what it is that has changed and then ease off on that.

In time, your muscles will adapt and you'll no longer feel that muscle ache, and then you'll be able to train as you are now without any pain. But for now, just ease off very slightly, and then pick up again, building up slowly!

1
Posted by: SL | 2008/01/09

thanks for your response, Yoga is a new thing for me, but i am quite depressed that instead of the leaner feel and longer muscles, my jeans are tight and uncomfortable because of the swelling of my muscles - am i putting on weight or is this supposed to be normal, and how long will it last for?

Reply to SL