Question
Posted by: Jeni | 2007/11/28

Aching legs since teen

Since my teen years (now 32 years old) I have had a problem with my legs where they ache severely. I was told then that it was growing pains, but at 32 I should have stopped.

I am not sure if its circulation or nerve issues but I'm finding that the pains are coming on more regularly and sometimes I am unable to walk. My right leg is always more painful that the left. It feels like its in the muscle. On rare occassions it starts in the knee and other times it starts in my ankles. Most times it starts either in the thigh muscles or the calf muscles and just spreads quickly. The pain doesn't occur in one leg only it always is in both. Currently I am taking Syndol for the pain and they are being taken more often than I would like.

I have elevated cholesterol (genetic) and eat according to the Sure Slim eating plan, and don't excercise - except for the very regular walks throughout my office building. I am a smoker (but didn't start when I was a teen).

I use to wear a lot of flat shoes, and now am wearing more high heels but even with the flat shoes that I wear at times I still get the pains. If I wear hiking boots (not tight) the pain comes on and starts in the ankles. Sometimes my toes tingle (pins and needles) as I step on each foot, this happens in both feet. If I wear shoes too tight, it starts in the ankles.

Could I get some direction on how to get these pains gone for good and I can finally put the theory of growing pains to rest (RIP), and put the Syndol away for good.

Jeni

Hallo Jeni
I agree with you, it can't be growing pains anymore. I suggest that you ask your GP to do a complete back and lower extremities examination and with that information decide whether you need blood tests for auto immune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, or need to see an orthopod or rheumatologist or need back x/rays or legbone x/rays. They may need to do a full blood count too.