Question
Posted by: POODLE | 2005/12/13

Aching hips

My hips ache badly when I drink or eat citrus fruits. Grapefruit which I love nearly murders me! Orange juice causes me to get phlem in the chest. All I can eat is apples, pears and persimmons.! What must I do?

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Poodle
It seems as if you should stay away from the citrus fruits! If this is really bothersome you should see your GP. I know of no connection between the ingestion of citrus and painful hips. Foods containing high levels of purine (e.g red meat, offal, beans, lentils and alcohol) can cause gout in the joints- usually in the feet and ankles.