Question
Posted by: sexybeast | 2004/02/24

Achilles tendon

I have injured my ahilles tendon, how long do you think it is going to take to heal. Not running is not an option - any suggestions

I'm afraid that not running may be the only option for the next short while - I'll be honest and say that if you do run, it may take years rather than weeks to heal, and you will find that what is currently a minor injury becomes a chronic injury that may plague you for the rest of your active life. I therefore really suggest that you back off the running just for a short while. You need to give the tendon a break and the forces are so high in running that you must eliminate it completely.

Now, the time of treatment depends a little on the nature of the injury. If you injured the tendon suddenly, playing a sport like tennis or even running, where you jumped and landed awkwardly, then you just need to rest for about a week or so (depending on the severity). As soon as you feel the strength returning, you can take an easy jog - I would say about 50% of your usual distance, and if that goes off OK, then you can build up so that within a week you will be back in full running.

If the injury is chronic, and built up over a long time, then it is more complex, and I would seriously suggest seeing a physio or a biokineticist. You would first have to rest the injury, as with an acute injury, but there is likely some underlying cause for this injury, and so you would have to strengthen the tendon and make sure that you are eliminating the original cause. The strengthening is easy, once the problem is diagnosed, and the tendon is healed, but the important thing now is rest. This is probably not great news to you, but in the long term, it may be the only way